Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Feeling sore but off to a good start....

Woke up today feeling really sore.  My chest feels like someone was sitting on it.  Oh, wait... someone was.  I went to the Monday night BJJ class and trained/sparred with this 260lbs guy.  Quite the experience.  Although he was trying to be gentle, his size was a lot for me to handle.  I felt like my chest was going to cave in.  My time rolling with him did teach me to get to my side as quickly as possible.  It's the main thing I got out of the class. If I was flattened out and his weight was on me, I literally couldn't breath.  I tapped a few times just to get him off of me. Eventually, I figured out that being on my side relieved a lot of that pressure.  In that sense, it was a great learning moment.  My instructors have always told me about shifting to my side but I guess it takes a heavier guy sitting on my chest to drive the lesson into me.

After drilling a few times with the big guy, I was able to roll with one of the older brown belts.  I believe he's in his mid-50s but you can't tell from the way he rolls.  Hardly out of breath, abs of steal and meticulous in his transition to the next position.  I always enjoy rolling with him because he is all about technique and efficiency of movement.  Nothing super fancy about his game but his executions of the basic techniques are tight and near perfect.  I am bigger than him but he is strong with the FORCE.  He does all these cool ninja Jedi tricks that constantly amazes me.  He puts me in positions that make me think, "What the hell is he doing to me?"  Frustrating and painful but intriguing to experience.  After rolling with him, he'll review and analyze what I did.  "You should do this.", "That was good but next time try...", "Keep at it.  You're doing good."

So now, 2 days later, my chest and neck are sore (we were drilling collar chokes).  I do understand I'll have better pain tolerance as I train more but for now... I smell of Ben-Gay and hyped up on Advil. All in all, off to a good start...




No comments:

Post a Comment