Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The good news...

So now for the good news I was talking about.  First a little background... Recently, I've slipped back to some of my unhealthy habits; eating wrong and not exercising consistently. Since I injured my ribs a few months ago, I was never really the same.  As I was healing, I laid off jiu-jitsu, weight training and cardio.  I thought I would take a couple weeks off to completely heal but that progressed into laying on the couch, eating donuts.  It was great for my ribs but I gained some of my weight back... About 10lbs.  I'm still 35lbs down from when I started but I wanted to stop the upward weight gain trend.

Fast forward to Friday, October 14.  I was browsing the internet when a website popped up... The North American BJJ Federation.  They were advertising a local San Diego tournament in November.  I said to myself, "That would get me motivated to train." but I realized, there was no way to be ready in a month.  However, it turns out there will be another tournament in February.  They had the perfect division for me... Senior II (46 years+), Novice, White Belt, Super Heavy (207lbs - 221lbs).  Plus, I would have four months to prepare, which meant, I'd have to get back to a healthy lifestyle.  The next day, I asked some jiu-jitsu friends and they all said, "Do it!"  Eventually, I ended up talking to my BJJ professor for his thoughts.  His answer was neither yes or no as he was never one to tell me what I should do. That decision is always up to me. Instead, he gave me insights on what to expect, suggestions on training and highly recommended that I compete in the next lowest weight class.  As he put it, "You're going to be fighting fucking monsters."  Point taken coach... and so eloquently put.

Now I had to tell the wife of my "great idea."  She was initially skeptical.  "Why are you doing this again?"  After I flashed my sexy smile and told her my reasons for doing a tournament,  she eventually gave me a reluctant thumbs up.  She worries I would get hurt but I reminded her, it's not MMA, I won't get punched or kicked.  I always have the option to tap out. Beside, I'll have the guys from the academy watching my back.  

With the next of kin notified and the jiu-jitsu guys cheering me on, it was now up to me.  Like with any important decision, my stomach started to rumble and I had to go poop.  Maybe it's parts of the decision making process.  After washing my hands, I jumped into bed with iPad in hand to start the registration process.  However, like any other time I've relieve myself, I felt so cleansed and relax that I fell asleep.  Registration will have to wait until the morning.  

Not to worry. I did register for the event.  No refunds or transfers so there's no turning back.  I also told a few more people just to keep me in check.  I can't chicken out if friends and family are cheering me on.  So there you have it.  I'm doing my first jiu-jitsu tournament on Sunday, February 26 at the San Diego Community College.  Now the training begins...


No comments:

Post a Comment